I’m learning procreate and experimenting with a variety of brushes. The prompt comes from @theydrawandgarden and as you know I adore birds which feature heavily in my work. This time I used gouache brushes and went for a folk art theme. I painted this completely from scratch. I’m absolutely loving procreate and the brushes.
Below you can see my work process. I was amazed at the realism I was able to create using the gouache brushes for building up the shading and form. For the folk art design I used a much more opaque gouache brush and applying the decorative patterns was fun.
What I love about Procreate so far in my learning:
- being able to rotate the canvas (use this all the time)
- dragging the colour dot over to a shape to fill the entire shape (saves so much time)
- alpha lock and the clipping mask facility
- using the apple pencil is a dream – it’s pressure sensitivity is the best I’ve ever experienced
- being able to look at a reference photo by dragging it onto the screen to refer to. This involves using a split screen.
- being able to trace over line art or photos