Yay, another bird prompt.
Inktober 2020 Cardinal
Below you can see my work process. I used the digital gouache brushes in procreate again and although this was challenging, I’m thrilled with how it turned out.
Every illustration I do in procreate enables me to learn more and more about this wonderful app but I did have one problem at the very end which was really annoying.
My work process – After creating the shapes of the girl in individual layers, I used the Alpha Blend mode to then add the tonal realism. This is so handy as it means you only paint inside the shape and not outside. You can also use a clipping mask to do this. I kept my sketch as a layer too and used multiply mode so that I could still see the sketch lines. I also use free source photos from Pixabay and have the pictures on the same screen using the split screen facility. This is incredibly useful. I had to learn how to do this as it’s brand new to me.
The problem I had at the end though was when I merged all the layers together there were slight gaps and overlaps in my shapes. (Not sure but I may have still had some of my layers in multiply mode before I merged them). I also discovered that I couldn’t actually add any more colour beyond the edge of my shapes to fill these gaps. So annoying but I have much to learn.